GlokkNine is a rapper I got the privilege to interview earlier this year. I have been documenting his ascent to rap stardom because I truly believe he is one of the rappers next up. And the numbers don’t lie. His tracks have hundreds of thousands and millions of views on YouTube and Soundcloud and he only has one mixtape out so far. If he isn’t on next years XXL freshman list in 2019 it will only be because he turned it down.
If you’ve been following CuratedFlame for awhile then you know I like to interview producers and other behind the scenes players and I have reached out to several of the producers on Glokk’s debut mixtape. The first one I got to interview was Gelato and now I have the privilege of publishing an interview with Trill800.
Trill800 is a producer who isn’t a house hold name yet by any means but he is on the come up and recently secured a placement with the rapper GlokkNine. The track he specifically produced is called “Rollin” and it’s number 10 on GlokkNines debut mixtape “Bloodshells Revenge” which is what brought my attention to Trill800. I reached out to him and was able to secure an interview with this producer on the come up. You can find out more by scrolling down.
How did the glokknine placement come about?
-One of my best friends, Stephen, hit me up and told me that one of his friends from Penn State, Jordan, was an intern at a label in Florida, and he recommended i send him some beats. Jordan played some beats for them and the rest is history.
credits? (If you list artist please list the song as well)
– Well obviously Glokknine https://soundcloud.com/glock-nine/10-rollin-produced-by-trill800
lol, but Mainly i’ve been working with artists in my group 800
, such as Kasey Jones https://soundcloud.com/kaseyjones107/01-lie-to-you-featuring-al-1
, and Al Hostile https://soundcloud.com/al-hostile/neverland-prod-trill800-mars?in=al-hostile/sets/smile-always
. I got some songs here and there with some other artists from my area, like my boy Frankie $teeze , Mikey $avage, Travy No$tra, Mike Of Doom, ChoGod https://soundcloud.com/chogod/own-lane-feat-bnard-prod-by-trill800?in=chogod/sets/next-in-line
, BNard from Lean Squad, and Matt Mcghee. I don’t really get those throwaway songs. Some People who work with me like to save stuff for their albums so I can’t really say too ,much before it’s time.
How old are you?
– I am 22, I turn 23 in November.
funniest reason/excuse a rapper ever gave you for not having the money for a beat on time?
– Honestly the wildest excuse was that he was fried and missed his bus to come meet me, and then the next day he had work. Work I understand, but too smacked? I was hot.
Where are you from?
– Takoma Park, Maryland.
How long have you been producing? Why/How did you get into it?
-I’ve been producing for like 3 years. I got into it like a year and a half after I got out of high school. My boy Spencer @half-empty had been making beats since we were in school, as did my boy chase. One day i was on like season 5 of my Madden Franchise, smokin in my room, next thing you know i started asking myself what i was goo at? I didn’t play football anymore, and i wasn’t even that good at that, so i had no answer. I asked Spencer to set me up with fruity loops.
When did you know you made it? or that this could be an actual career for you?
– I knew it could be a career when more and more people started telling me that they could hear their favorite rapper on my stuff. But this didn’t happen until like year 2.5. I’m blessed I had my friends like Kasey, Al, Spencer, and Frankie to make beats for. They’re all up and coming rappers with crazy skill, and having them to rap over my beats, even the ones that i look back on as shitty. Having your own artists kinda help you a lot. Next thing you know, a lot of rappers from my area and beyond started hitting me wanting to work. I’m excited for the future.
i used to ask people what is the most they made from a beat, and some producers don’t like to flex. So I am changing this question to can you tell us about (me and the readers) the coolest, or most satisfying, OR the most expensive beat sale, you’ve ever done?
– I don’t really wanna flex haha, but i guess about $600 for a pack. That ain’t shit fr but i’m blessed. My prices increased since i got more placements. This next pack im sellin boutta bring in $1000 once the budget comes in, and that will be the most i will have made off my production. Right now 600 is the highest though cuz i already made that money.
Who are your biggest influences?
-Off top, Zaytoven, Metro Boomin, Sonny Digital, Buddha Bless, P’ierre Bourne, High Class Filth aka half- Empty, Chase Smith, and Matt Mcghee.
Want to give any shoutouts?
– I wanna give a shoutout to the whole 800 and My bros at Silent Grind Ent. The whooooooole Certified Crew, all my sisters, My Bff’s Brooke and Kirstin and my Day 1’s. Its too many Day 1’s to name
What do you find is the best platform or avenue of selling your beats? and why?
-Right now email is decent. My manager Bel has been doing his best to pitch my work out to artists. People be hittin my email too. I think i’m about to make a site or something like that cuz i know that’ll be more efficient.
What is something about you people would be surprised to know?
-I;m about to graduate from college. Yachty and them made me wanna quit lol, they dropped outta school and make more than my doctor. It’s all good though. i promised my mom that i’d finish.
Whats your process for making a beat?
Any stories on how you got some of your placements?
-I got most of my placements ultimately from being talented, but also being a good dude. I got a song with Fat trel that i forgot too mention. I’ve been listening to him since I was like a freshman in High School. Me and my good man made a song and sent it to him and he fucked with the song so hard, that he gave us a free feature. That shit is boutta be fire. Shoutout to my good man for puttin the word in. That’s probably my biggest accomplishment.
People Mentioned by Twitter name:
@KaseyJones800 -Kasey Jones
@VampHostile -Al Hostile
@FrankieSteeze – Frankie Steeze
@MIKEYTHASAVAGE – Mikey Savage
@mattmcghee – Matt Mcghee
@half__empty – half- Empty