Some specific areas that have established Hip Hop Scenes and under the radar:
- Saskatchewan, Canada
- Milwaukee, WI
- Cleveland, Oh
- Baltimore, MD
- Washington, DC
- Dallas, TX
- Waterloo, IA aka little chicago
- Pittsburgh, Pa: People often forget about Pittsburgh, Pa because they only have two really known artists, Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. However, here’s a little tip for up and coming rappers and producer’s, Pittsburgh is actually one of the largest indie music scenes in the country. Hundreds of publications / websites / magazines have rated Pittsburgh in the top 5 and top 10 indie music scenes for years (http://corneey.com/qAhLwg /).
It has dozens of venues including house venues that routinely feature hip hop, has six major colleges, a thriving underground rap scene, and a large population that consumes hip hop music.
- Cleveland, Ohio and West Virginia are both included on this list due to their similar demographics as Pittsburgh, Pa (a lot of college’s, income, race, etc.), own respective music scene’s, and then location and proximity to Pittsburgh and other areas listed in the article.
- Minneaopolis, MN and Kansas City, MS: Rhymesayers Entertainment is one of the longest running and most successful independent hip hop record labels ever, and they are based in Minneaopolis. Every year they also throw a huge festival that tens of thousands of people go to. Clearly there is a market that digests hip hop here. For the producers, there is a large pool of rappers and newbies looking for beats.
Kansas City, MS: Because they have a large rap scene that mirrors Rhymesayers Entertainment out of Minneaopolis. Kansas City has produced Fat Tone, Mac Dre, Mac Lethal, and Tech N9ne and his whole strange music label.
States with large Native American Populations
- Alaska (104,871),
- South Dakota (71,817)
- Washington (103,869) …
- Minnesota (61,000)
- North Carolina (122,110) …
- New Mexico (193,222) …
- Arizona (296,529) …
- Oklahoma (321,687) …